Thanks to Susan at “The Primal Recipe” for this magnificent winter soup recipe. Make sure you stop by her site and see the wonderful recipes she has to offer. I just made it today and I have to admit it was quick, easy and SO delicious!
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 pound of mushrooms, I used baby bellas
- 3 leeks – slice the white and light green for use
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 slices bacon (optional, but probably spectacular!)
- coconut oil
- dab of grass fed butter
- sea salt and pepper
- If using bacon, fry in frying pan until slightly crispy. Chop into small pieces and set aside. Keep bacon grease.
- Sautee mushrooms in 1/3 of the bacon grease. If you need more oil (or are not using bacon) then add coconut oil. Set aside when cooked.
- In a stockpot, add the remainder of the bacon grease and some additional coconut oil.
- Add garlic and leeks and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add cauliflower and chicken broth to the leeks and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Remove from heat and, in batches, add to blender to puree until smooth.
- Return to pot and stir in mushrooms and bacon.
- Add a dab of butter and some sea salt and pepper and you are ready to go!